Welcome to
St. Mark
Lutheran Church
The history of St. Mark Lutheran Church

1961
April 16                 First church service held at 
Guilford Center School 

July 9 Purchase of the Thomas Garrett farm
approved as the building site 

September 3 First confirmation service 

November 19 Pastor John R. Benson was called 

1962
April 15                 Ground breaking ceremony for 
the new church site

August 5 Cornerstone was laid 

December 16 First service in the new church building

1963
January 20 Formal dedication of St. Mark building

1964
October 21          Ground breaking ceremony 
for the new expansion 

1965
June 27 New Educational wing was dedicated

1969
April 13                 Pastor Bensons last service 

November 2       Pastor Wayne R. Viereck was called

1970
August 16 Ground breaking ceremony 
for the new Sanctuary

1971     
November 7 First service in new Sanctuary

1974 

The Paul Hogan Memorial Pipe Organ 
was installed and dedicated 

1980-1981

Rev. Nancy Fenick, the first woman pastor in the Lutheran church, was called as assistant pastor

1981-1984

Pastor Steven Barnes served as assistant pastor

1984-1985

New building addition made provided more office space, larger Sanctuary, larger choir room and six classrooms

1985
August Pastor Larry Matthews was called 
as assistant pastor

1986
25th Anniversary was celebrated

1989                      
St. Mark totaled over 1800 baptized and confirmed members

1993
October Carolyn Hedin retired as organist after 26 years  

Website Builder